Hard Skills are necessary to get a job, but Soft Skills are required to have a successful career.
Soft Skills, however, are much harder to articulate in a job description:
- Communication: what constitutes excellent communication?
- Teamwork: how do you learn how to be better at it?
- Leadership: what activities make you a leader?
- Initiative: how else can you find other work you are supposed to do?
- Attention to Detail: how can you self-assess if it was good enough?
Thus, learning soft skills becomes a priority both for the employer and employee.