CERTFICATE "Team building - Google recipe for high performing teams"
Google spent two years and millions of dollars - studying 180 real work teams, 201 interviews, considered 250+ variables.
This MOOC explains the results of this study.
🔹 Performing outdoor team building event: climbing trees, holding hands, singing kumbaya 🤣 do little to improve team effectiveness.
🔹 Just hiring smart people is not enough, and it is also important to create an environment where these smart people can do their best.
🔹 Effective teams have bigger results as a whole than as a sum of each individual part.
🔹 While poor teams have smaller results as a whole than as the sum of each part.
🔹 Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships. -- Michael Jordan
🔹 Surprisingly, the following factors DO NOT ❌ impact team performance:
- The co-location of teammates
- The consensus-driven decision making
- Extraversion of team members
- Individual performance of team members
- The seniority of the team members
- Diverse and/or complementary skill sets
- Team size
- Tenure (Time period the teammates know each other)
These factors could work for the 20th-century teamwork model,
but google search results show that they do not with the 21st century way of teamwork.🤷♂️
🔹 What really matters ✅ for team performance are:
- Team dynamics (how the behaviors of team members impacts others and the team as a whole)
- Psychological safety 🧠
- (can I share openly honest feedback without fearing being embarrassed?)
- Dependability 👨🚒 (Can I rely on my teammates? Are my teammates showing responsibility?)
- Structure and clarity 🔍(Are the expectations clear? What is my role? Do I know how to do it? #OKR --Objectives and Key Results)
- Meaning 🙂 (Does my work provide professional fulfillment?)
- Impact 🌎(Does my work make an impact for a greater good? What is the vision of my work?)