The big secret it's not the person who's speaking that controls the conversation but the person who's asking the right questions. Such a person has a lot more power.
And if you want to really engage with people, if you want to empathize, if you want to connect: create some questions in advance get used to questions about them, about their interests.
Create those questions and you will connect more powerfully bonding with people.
- Be clear and specific: Clearly state what you want to know and avoid asking broad or open-ended questions.
- Do your research: Before asking a question, make sure you have done some background research and are not asking something that has already been answered.
- Be respectful and polite: Remember that people are taking time out of their day to help you, so it is important to be polite and respectful in your questioning.
- Avoid leading questions: Try to avoid asking questions that suggest a specific answer.
- Rephrase and rephrase: rephrase your question if you don't get the answer you need the first time around.