Here some common code review anti-patterns and their solutions:
Use tool such as checkstyle to make sure style guidelines have been followed or to use sonarqube to identify common quality and security issues.
Define the priorities for your applications and your teams to fundamental questions like:
- use of modern or classic style of Java?
- O(1) or O(n) operations on data structures?
LAST-MINUTE DESIGN CHANGES
Spot the problem early thanks to
- whiteboarding ideas,
- talk with the techlead.
Define when the review is done by
- a task list of items to check or by
- an empowered individual who close the review (senior developer, lead, architect)
- Keep review small
- Define a clear scope for the review (no "find any possible issue with that code")
- Allow time for code review in the development process